Sunday, January 31, 2016

Twitter Chats- Professional Development at your fingertips!


I participated in my first twitter chat for professional development on Wednesday, I am not a newbie to the world of twitter chats, I have been joining in on them since I became a parent. Although the topics are a bit different to say the least! This was the first time that I used it for professional development; I have to say I was so pleased!  The chat I participated in was the inside online learning chat #IOLchat , it felt like a conversation, I appreciated the guided questions, but even more importantly the feeling that there are others in the world battling the same questions, successes and challenges that I too face as an educator.  We talked about things such as how to portray your authentic self to students as an online educator.  This is something that is also coming up in the text we are reading, and can be so difficult when teaching from a far. 

As an educator, I am constantly pushing my own professional development. This idea of “authenticity” is something I have been focusing on.  There are so many layers to the idea of your authentic self particularly when teaching online.  I am currently designing 100% online course for out of school time educators. I have been struggling with how to provide the same high quality experience as those who took a similar course which was offered as a blended model.  One of ideas I have is to provide a welcome care package. Including all the materials needed for the tasks they are to do, instructions for using online photo and video sharing as well as YouTube links to how to use the video conferencing platform we are using Zoom.  More and more I am wondering about using a microblog such as twitter for a way for students to connect and reflect.  

In the #IOLchat we chatted about best practices and other tools of the trade.  I will definitely use twitter chats in the future for professional development. I am wondering how I could support my colleagues and staff in my own work using this technology.  

I will use twitter chats again, it’s amazing the amount of professional development that is available at your fingertips each and every day. I had no idea how many educational chats there are!  The #IOLchat was interesting because of the number of participants, it felt much more like a conversation, I think there were a total of 12 of us at one point, but the resources shared were relevant and useful.  I do wonder how different it would be to participate in a much larger chat. I wonder if that conversational feel would still be there or if it would be different for me? I am going to research to see if there is a twitter chat for 4-H faculty and educators, and if not suggestion that to our professional organization NAE4HA. I think it would be very helpful, since each state is doing very different things, but have the same focus of positive youth development. 

Overall, I am feeling like twitter chats are very useful and I will continue to seek out relevant and meaningful conversations through this platform.

2 comments:

  1. This is very interesting that you have participated in Twitter chats as a parent but not professionally. Since I am not a parent I didn't know that there are parenting ones too! I too have been looking for a way to share what I learn in Twitter chats with colleagues. I have tried to get them to participate, but haven't had any luck. Wouldn't a Twitter chat staff meeting be interesting?

    ReplyDelete