Much like twitter, blogs can be an amazing resource for
educators. What I love about blogs are that they are available all the time,
unlike twitter chats you really don’t have to rely on a schedule. That being
said, it’s so important to be able to filter through relevant information
versus opinions. There are so many blogs
out there. For this assignment, the first thing I did was to set up a RSS feed
using feedly. I hadn’t used feedly before, and it is so user friendly. I was
able to add some of my favorite blogs and organize them in one place. Who doesn’t like the ability to have
something organized?
Here are the top 5 blogs I follow in no particular order:
It was so difficult to choose which blog posts to comment
on, if time wasn’t a barrier I would have commented on many more.
Comment: This sounds amazing! I feel like
this similar to the vision of what Charter schools are hoping to do, but with
way more focus! What an amazing experience for you to observe but even
more so for the students!
Comment: Thank you for this synopsis. As an out of school
time educator the connection between social and emotional learning and
employability is something that is very interesting to me, these skills sets
complement one another and should be a focus for all educators.
Comment: There is so much value in this model, by seeing the
“whole” child through home visits, families become engaged as a value added aspect
of their child(ren)’s education. By connecting with families on a positive note
as your first interaction, a relationship is starting to form. I would imagine
this would make difficult conversations easier if they were ever to come up.
Teachers coming into a “school neutral” zone is so important, particularly for
parents who had a negative experience in their own school lives. This quote
says it all, “People will forget what you say, but
they’ll always remember how you made them feel.”
These three articles really resonated
with me in relation to my work. The first post about the regional stem lab is
something that I wish that we could make happen within Maine. As I commented, I
feel like this is what Charter schools are attempting to do in this state, but
this whole country effort is outstanding and amazing. I can only imagine what
education would look like this type of focus and goals.
I really enjoyed the next blog post regarding
social and emotional learning and employability. One of the projects I am working on is using
an evaluation tool surrounding workforce development (i.e. employability) as
educators I think this information is spot on, and something that we should be
paying attention to. Many grants and funding sources are moving towards this
vantage point, by connecting social emotional learning and employability
together it seems so much more doable.
Finally, my favorite post of all that I
read was about a model of home visiting.
I am a huge advocate of the home visitation model, my work in a previous
life was with home visiting in the prevention aspect for first time
families. Thinking about home visits
done by classroom teachers really flipped a switch for me. In the article the
mom who was interviewed said, “People will forget
what you say, but they’ll always remember how you made them feel.” As educators we are always concerned with
parental involvement, could this be a piece of the puzzle? Forming relationships with families on their “home”
turf, focusing on the positive and learning about the whole child. It sounds
like a very promising model.
Making the time to read relevant blogs
is something I am going to push myself to do, for my own personal learning plan
as well as those who I work with. I think blogs are a way to stay relevant and
current. And they are also a pretty
amazing way to share innovative models and tools.
It is great that you were able to find blogs that resonated with you and the work that you do. Sometimes I feel as though blogs are a great way to learn at my own (slower) pace than Twitter allows. It is all about finding the resources and type of tool that is going to best fit your needs.
ReplyDelete